When Icicles On Your Twin Lake Home Turn From Pretty To A Problem
Water damage from an ice dam? We're Here to Help®
Icicles on your home may give it a quaint look during the winter months, but they can actually be indicating a potential water damage problem - ice dams. Ice dams occur when heavy snow buildup melts during the day and then refreezes overnight when temperatures drop. After several days of this melting-freezing cycle, it is common for the melted water and ice to work up under the shingles of your roof, entering your attic, and then eventually damaging ceilings, walls, and contents.
There's no guarantee that an ice dam won't damage your home, but you can take the following steps to help reduce the chances of an ice dam forming to begin with:
- Thoroughly clean all leaves, sticks, and debris from your gutters and downspouts to allow proper flow.
- Make every effort to keep snow on your roof to a minimum. Roof rakes are a safe way to pull snow off of your roof while standing on the ground.
- Throughout the winter months, keep gutters and downspouts clear of snow and icicles.
- Evaluate the insulation and ventilation in your attic. In Michigan, experts recommend a R-value of R-38. Good airflow under the eaves or soffit area along the underside of the roof and out through the roof vents is essential. Proper insulation prevents heat loss from the inside of the home and venting allows the attic air to stay cold enough to prevent or minimize the freeze/thaw cycle on your roof.
If an ice dam causes water damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO of Muskegon, 231-733-7601, we're Here to help®
Why Choose SERVPRO for Water Damage to Your Norton Shores Home?
Our philosophy is restore versus replace.
Plumbing problems, a flood, or a storm can leave your home with extensive water damage. Immediate water mitigation is necessary to minimize further damages. This Norton Shores homeowner called SERVPRO of Muskegon after a main water pipe burst just outside of their home, flooding four rooms in their finished basement. These chose SERVPRO for the following reasons:
- Highly Trained Restoration Specialists - our professionals specialize in water damage restoration, with training focused on restoring salvageable items, minimizing drying time, and documenting the entire process.
- Customer Care - our specialists care about you and your property, wanting to help you get back to normal after you have water damage to your home. SERVPRO of Muskegon will also help you navigate the insurance claims process and coordinate the necessary paperwork for a quicker, easier, and less stressful experience.
Our professionals working on this Norton Shores home walked the talk, as you can see in the photo. The drywall wall was still wet after multiple days of drying and needed to be removed. They carefully removed only the affected drywall, leaving an inch of drywall on the perimeter for easy repairs. Removing that section they were able to properly dry out the wood paneling that was behind the drywall.
SERVPRO of Muskegon is Here to help® after your water damage. Call us day or night, 231-733-7601
Water Damage at Muskegon, MI School
Be prepared before disaster happens, schedule your ERP appointment today!
As a Facilities Director for a county, water damage to a school can be particularly brutal. Not only is there the damage itself that needs repaired quickly, but there's the disruption to the students and teachers. SERVPRO of Muskegon professionals are prepared to evaluate your water-damaged property swiftly.
The Facilities Director for this school in Muskegon called us right away after a two inch main water pipe broke on the second floor of the building on a Friday at 4:00pm. Staff did not know where the main water shut off was so water kept gushing into the facility affecting more rooms. The Facilities Director now sees the importance of an Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) for all of the buildings that he oversees. If one would have been in place at this facility they would have known where the main water shut off was and could have minimized damages.
An ERP is a no-cost assessment of your facility, a concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency, and a guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. With our Emergency Ready Plan, your facility will be able to minimize interruption because you'll know what to do and what to expect if any-sized disaster strikes, during regular hours or after hours.
You can stay a step ahead of unexpected events by having a plan of action in place before you need it. Call SERVPRO of Muskegon to schedule your ERP appointment today, 231-733-7601
Fire Evacuation Plan For Your Twin Lake Home With Pets
Don't forget about your furry family members when working on your fire evacuation plan.
Seventy percent of U.S. households, or about 90.5 million families, own a pet, according the American Pet Products Association (APPA) 2021-2022 National Pet Owners Survey. During a fire, your first priority is to get yourself and your family members out safely. Having a fire evacuation plan for your Twin Lake home helps to keep you and your family a little more calm. Since our pets are a part of our families, don't forget to add them into your plan.
Preparation is key when it comes to protecting your pets in a fire. In case your pets are in an unsafe location that you or a family member can't get to during a fire, there are several things that you can do to better the chance of your pets rescue:
- Keep your pet in a room or area that is easily accessible to fire fighters.
- Update your pet alert window cling on the front window of your home.
- Put together a disaster supply kit just for your pets, including medications, food, and other dog supplies.
- Place important pet ownership documents and proof of vaccinations in a fire safe box that you can easily retrieve.
- Teach your pets the "Come" command so you can easily direct them towards you in an emergency.
If your home has experienced a fire, call SERVPRO of Muskegon for an estimate, 231-733-7601. We are Here to help®
Fruitport, MI - Are You Winter Ready?
A recent burst pipe in a Fruitport, MI home.
Temperatures are dropping in West Michigan. In addition to regular home maintenance, in the winter months, protecting your pipes from freezing is equally important. Even a tiny crack in a pipe can emit hundreds of gallons of water causing flooding, damage to your furnace, and potential serious structural damage. It also can present an immediate potential for mold growth.
The three main causes of frozen pipes are:
- Quick drops in temperature
- Poor insulation
- Thermostats set too low
By taking the following preventative measures, you can help reduce the risk of frozen water pipes in your Fruitport home this winter.
- Insulate your pipes. Exposed pipes are most susceptible to freezing.
- Seal any leaks that allow cold air inside. Look for air leaks around electrical wiring, dryer vents, and pipes and us caulk or insulation to keep the cold out.
- Let water drip. Let warm water drip from a faucet overnight.
If your pipes still freeze and burst, call SERVPRO of Muskegon for immediate assistance, 231-733-7601
Montague Residents - Why Choose SERVPRO of Muskegon?
SERVPRO of Muskegon - Here to help®
- SERVPRO currently has 2,000 locations nationwide serving 90% of all US zip codes within two hours.
- Emergencies don't stop for holidays or after hours. SERVPRO of Muskegon is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Call us for immediate assistance.
- SERVPRO has more than 50 years of experience in the cleanup and restoration industry and has earned the reputation as #1 in the cleanup and restoration industry specializing in fire and water damage, specialty cleaning, mold, and so much more.
- SERVPRO of Muskegon technicians are highly trained in Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) standards and use advanced restoration and cleaning equipment.
Have you suffered a loss at your Montague home or business? Call SERVPRO of Muskegon, 231-733-7601, we are Here to help®
Water Mitigation vs Water Restoration for a Ravenna Home or Business
SERVPRO of Muskegon can detect the unseen water damage.
Many think that water mitigation and water restoration are the same thing. They go hand in hand but do have differences.
Water Mitigation - includes assessing, containing, and preventing further damage from occurring. Our technicians are focused on getting your property and belongings out of harm's way. Water extraction, removing damaged furniture and materials, including drywall and flooring, are included in this step.
Water Restoration - aims to repair or replace damaged items to their pre-disaster condition. This process is not as urgent as mitigation but is still vital and must be completed promptly. If needed, mold remediation is a step that would be included in the restoration phase.
If your Ravenna home or business suffers from water damage, call SERVPRO of Muskegon, we help to ensure your damage is mitigated and restored according to industry standards, 231-733-7601
Fireworks Safety for Whitehall, MI Residents
SERVPRO of Muskegon is here for your fire and smoke restoration needs.
Summer brings multiple holidays and special events to celebrate with fireworks in Whitehall. The safest way to enjoy and view fireworks is to attend a professional show. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more than 19,500 reported fires are started by fireworks annually, including 1,900 structure fires, 500 vehicle fires, and 17,100 outside and other fires. The following are a few ideas to get into the spirit without fireworks:
- Use glow sticks, they glow in the dark, and are safer than sparklers, which get as hot as 1,200 °F!
- Noise makers make a statement without using fire. They can be found at local party supply stores or you can even make your own.
- Have an outdoor movie night, setting up a screen and projector.
- Red, white, and blue silly string; fun for all ages!
- Make a patriotic craft with the family such as red, white, and blue tie dye shirts.
If your home or vehicle suffers fire or smoke damage this summer season from fireworks, call SERVPRO of Muskegon for a quote, 231-733-7601
Storm Damage in Lakewood Club, MI and Your Belongings
SERVPRO of Muskegon helps preserve items that can't be replaced, like this antique crib.
Storm and water damage affects not only the structure of your home but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Muskegon understands that your home is more than a structure; your family's furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home.
Our "restore" versus "replace mentality and our expertise can help you save money while preserving keepsakes that are not able to be replaced like this antique crib from a Lakewood Club home. Different methods of cleaning are used for cleaning contents depending on the item.
SERVPRO of Muskegon can also conduct an organized and efficient pack-out/move-out of the affected areas if your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning. When restoration is completed, we work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs.
Many homeowners are not aware that water-damaged electronics can most likely be saved, as well as photographs and documents. The key to restoring these types of items is taking prompt action to prevent further damage.
If your contents have been affected from storm damage, call SERVPRO of Muskegon, 231-733-7601. We're Here to help® 24/7
Water Damage Common Mistakes Made By Norton Shores Residents
Don't make these mistakes - Call SERVPRO of Muskegon today!
When encountering water damage in your home, many people's first reaction would be to start cleaning the mess up themselves. It is essential to stop the source and try to remove excess water, but the most critical mistakes would be to handle everything on your own. Below are some common mistakes that homeowners have made when a water damage has happened to their Norton Shores home.
"I'll just put a fan on it and run our dehumidifier."
Many of our mold jobs come from a homeowner or business owner that decided to turn their water damage into a DIY project. SERVPRO of Muskegon has technicians specifically trained in water restoration through the standards and best practices of The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). There is a science to drying, and SERVPRO of Muskegon technicians are experts in it. They also use advanced commercial inspection and extraction equipment to dry and restore as efficiently as possible. They are able to find any hidden moisture.
Waiting Too Long
We totally understand, life is hectic. But when water damage affects your home, immediate action is key. The longer the water sits, the more damage to your home; mold thrives in damp, humid, and wet conditions. Taking care of the situation promptly can save you lots of time, stress, and money.
Not Knowing And Understanding Your Homeowners Insurance Policy
Many homeowners don't even know which insurance carrier they have, let alone know what is included in their homeowners policy. Make sure to get with your insurance agent before a disaster to know what type of coverage you have. If you live in a high flood zone, you should consider adding flood insurance since that is not covered by normal homeowners insurance. Also, if you have a sump pump in your basement, look into an endorsement, or rider, for a sump pump failure.
Don't make these mistakes. If you've experienced a clean water damage, there are tips that you can do while waiting for SERVPRO of Muskegon to arrive. Don't wait, call today, 231-733-7601