Fruitport, MI - Are You Winter Ready?
A recent burst pipe in a Fruitport, MI home.
Temperatures are dropping in West Michigan. In addition to regular home maintenance, in the winter months, protecting your pipes from freezing is equally important. Even a tiny crack in a pipe can emit hundreds of gallons of water causing flooding, damage to your furnace, and potential serious structural damage. It also can present an immediate potential for mold growth.
The three main causes of frozen pipes are:
- Quick drops in temperature
- Poor insulation
- Thermostats set too low
By taking the following preventative measures, you can help reduce the risk of frozen water pipes in your Fruitport home this winter.
- Insulate your pipes. Exposed pipes are most susceptible to freezing.
- Seal any leaks that allow cold air inside. Look for air leaks around electrical wiring, dryer vents, and pipes and us caulk or insulation to keep the cold out.
- Let water drip. Let warm water drip from a faucet overnight.
If your pipes still freeze and burst, call SERVPRO of Muskegon for immediate assistance, 231-733-7601
Montague Residents - Why Choose SERVPRO of Muskegon?
SERVPRO of Muskegon - Here to help®
- SERVPRO currently has 2,000 locations nationwide serving 90% of all US zip codes within two hours.
- Emergencies don't stop for holidays or after hours. SERVPRO of Muskegon is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Call us for immediate assistance.
- SERVPRO has more than 50 years of experience in the cleanup and restoration industry and has earned the reputation as #1 in the cleanup and restoration industry specializing in fire and water damage, specialty cleaning, mold, and so much more.
- SERVPRO of Muskegon technicians are highly trained in Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) standards and use advanced restoration and cleaning equipment.
Have you suffered a loss at your Montague home or business? Call SERVPRO of Muskegon, 231-733-7601, we are Here to help®
Water Mitigation vs Water Restoration for a Ravenna Home or Business
SERVPRO of Muskegon can detect the unseen water damage.
Many think that water mitigation and water restoration are the same thing. They go hand in hand but do have differences.
Water Mitigation - includes assessing, containing, and preventing further damage from occurring. Our technicians are focused on getting your property and belongings out of harm's way. Water extraction, removing damaged furniture and materials, including drywall and flooring, are included in this step.
Water Restoration - aims to repair or replace damaged items to their pre-disaster condition. This process is not as urgent as mitigation but is still vital and must be completed promptly. If needed, mold remediation is a step that would be included in the restoration phase.
If your Ravenna home or business suffers from water damage, call SERVPRO of Muskegon, we help to ensure your damage is mitigated and restored according to industry standards, 231-733-7601
Fireworks Safety for Whitehall, MI Residents
SERVPRO of Muskegon is here for your fire and smoke restoration needs.
Summer brings multiple holidays and special events to celebrate with fireworks in Whitehall. The safest way to enjoy and view fireworks is to attend a professional show. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more than 19,500 reported fires are started by fireworks annually, including 1,900 structure fires, 500 vehicle fires, and 17,100 outside and other fires. The following are a few ideas to get into the spirit without fireworks:
- Use glow sticks, they glow in the dark, and are safer than sparklers, which get as hot as 1,200 °F!
- Noise makers make a statement without using fire. They can be found at local party supply stores or you can even make your own.
- Have an outdoor movie night, setting up a screen and projector.
- Red, white, and blue silly string; fun for all ages!
- Make a patriotic craft with the family such as red, white, and blue tie dye shirts.
If your home or vehicle suffers fire or smoke damage this summer season from fireworks, call SERVPRO of Muskegon for a quote, 231-733-7601
Storm Damage in Lakewood Club, MI and Your Belongings
SERVPRO of Muskegon helps preserve items that can't be replaced, like this antique crib.
Storm and water damage affects not only the structure of your home but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Muskegon understands that your home is more than a structure; your family's furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home.
Our "restore" versus "replace mentality and our expertise can help you save money while preserving keepsakes that are not able to be replaced like this antique crib from a Lakewood Club home. Different methods of cleaning are used for cleaning contents depending on the item.
SERVPRO of Muskegon can also conduct an organized and efficient pack-out/move-out of the affected areas if your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning. When restoration is completed, we work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs.
Many homeowners are not aware that water-damaged electronics can most likely be saved, as well as photographs and documents. The key to restoring these types of items is taking prompt action to prevent further damage.
If your contents have been affected from storm damage, call SERVPRO of Muskegon, 231-733-7601. We're Here to help® 24/7
Water Damage Common Mistakes Made By Norton Shores Residents
Don't make these mistakes - Call SERVPRO of Muskegon today!
When encountering water damage in your home, many people's first reaction would be to start cleaning the mess up themselves. It is essential to stop the source and try to remove excess water, but the most critical mistakes would be to handle everything on your own. Below are some common mistakes that homeowners have made when a water damage has happened to their Norton Shores home.
"I'll just put a fan on it and run our dehumidifier."
Many of our mold jobs come from a homeowner or business owner that decided to turn their water damage into a DIY project. SERVPRO of Muskegon has technicians specifically trained in water restoration through the standards and best practices of The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). There is a science to drying, and SERVPRO of Muskegon technicians are experts in it. They also use advanced commercial inspection and extraction equipment to dry and restore as efficiently as possible. They are able to find any hidden moisture.
Waiting Too Long
We totally understand, life is hectic. But when water damage affects your home, immediate action is key. The longer the water sits, the more damage to your home; mold thrives in damp, humid, and wet conditions. Taking care of the situation promptly can save you lots of time, stress, and money.
Not Knowing And Understanding Your Homeowners Insurance Policy
Many homeowners don't even know which insurance carrier they have, let alone know what is included in their homeowners policy. Make sure to get with your insurance agent before a disaster to know what type of coverage you have. If you live in a high flood zone, you should consider adding flood insurance since that is not covered by normal homeowners insurance. Also, if you have a sump pump in your basement, look into an endorsement, or rider, for a sump pump failure.
Don't make these mistakes. If you've experienced a clean water damage, there are tips that you can do while waiting for SERVPRO of Muskegon to arrive. Don't wait, call today, 231-733-7601
Prepare Yourself And Your Pets For A Storm In Twin Lake, MI
Make sure everyone is prepared for a storm, fur kids included.
Severe weather can turn a normal day into a catastrophe. There are several emergency plans that you can follow to keep your family safe, but have you thought about your pets? Have you planned for them? Below are some tips to keep your family safe, animal kids included:
- Create a Plan - if an emergency arises and you need to leave your home, do you have a plan on where you and your pets will stay? Make a list of hotels that are pet friendly and talk with friends and family to see if they would be willing to accommodate all of you. Unfortunately, Red Cross shelters only allow service animals.
- Make Sure Your Pets Can Be Identified - check that your pets collars and tags are up-to-date, and if they are microchipped that is even better.
- Have Pet Carriers Accessible - make sure to have carriers, harnesses, and leashes readily available.
- Practice Makes Perfect - consider practicing your emergency plan with your family and pets. Car rides can be stressful for some pets. By practicing ahead of time, your pets will hopefully become more comfortable with traveling.
- Hide and Seek - stressful situations cause some pets to hide. If yours is prone to hiding, be sure to know their hiding places in case you need to evacuate quickly.
- Emergency Kit - preparation is key. A few items to include in your pets emergency kit are, food and drinking water, bowls, litter box, medications, medical records, toys, waste bags, additional leashes/harnesses.
Has a storm affected your Twin Lake home? Call SERVPRO of Muskegon today, 231-733-7601. We are Here to Help®
When Storms or Floods Hit Muskegon, SERVPRO is Ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Muskegon County.
SERVPRO of Muskegon specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and use specialized equipment to restore your property, as closely as we can, to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Muskegon, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 2,000 Franchises across North America and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the Country.
Experienced Storm or Flood Damage? Call SERVPRO of Muskegon Today, 231.733-7601
Tornado Season Is Looming; Are You Ready Fruitport?
Tornadoes are dangerous but these tips can help you and your family stay safe.
Tornado season is here. Most tornadoes occur in April, May, June, and July between 3pm - 7pm in Fruitport, MI. The average tornado is grounded for less than 10 minutes and travels about five miles. A typical tornado as it touches the ground averages 200 to 400 yards, averaging winds of 71-125 mph in Michigan. The following are some tips to make sure you and your family stay safe during a tornado:
Know the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning.
Tornado Watch - is issued to alert people to the possibility of tornado development in your area.
Tornado Warning - is issued when a tornado has actually been sighted or is indicated by radar.
Environmental clues to look out for:
- Dark, often greenish skies
- Wall cloud
- Large hail
- Loud roar; similar to a freight train
Where you should take shelter during a tornado.
In a home - the basement offers the greatest safety. Seek shelter under sturdy furniture if possible. In homes without a basement, take cover in the center part of the house, on the lowest floor, in a small room (closet or bathroom) without windows.
In a mobile home - the home should be evacuated, and shelter should be taken in a prearranged substantial shelter. If nearby shelter is not available, leave the home and lie flat in a ditch or ravine. Protect your head by placing your arms over it. Do not take shelter under your home.
Driving a vehicle - get out of the vehicle and take shelter in a nearby ditch or ravine, do not get under the vehicle. Lie flat and put your arms over your head.
At work or school - follow prepared plans to move to interior hallways or small rooms on the lowest floor. Avoid areas with windows or glass.
In open country - lie in a gully, ditch, or low spot on the ground and hold onto something on the ground, if possible. Do not seek shelter in damaged buildings as they may collapse.
Have an emergency plan and kit in place.
Each tornado season, review with your family your emergency plan and practice it. Make sure to put together an emergency kit that includes a flashlight, extra batteries, battery-operated radio, first aid kit, can opener, canned food, bottled water, and extra clothes.
If your home suffers from storm damage, call SERVPRO of Muskegon, we are Here to help®, 231-733-7601
Content Restoration Cleaning After Fire Damage To Your Montague, MI Home
Our mentality is "restore" versus "replace".
Fire damage, including smoke and soot, affects not only the structure of your home but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Muskegon professionals understand your family's furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings are the things that make your house a home.
Our expertise and "restore" versus "replace" mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can't be replaced, such as the antique baby crib in this photo. We pretest your belongings to determine what items can be restored to pre-fire condition and use several methods of cleaning, including:
- Dry Cleaning - used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning. Our Content Restoration Specialist is demonstrating this method in the photo.
- Wet Cleaning - an effective cleaning technique for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe - effective for items that cannot withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If you have questions or need help restoring your belongings are a fire, call SERVPRO of Muskegon today, 231-733-7601. We are Here to help®